If you click on any links on this site XL Tribe May receive compensation from the affiliate links of the companies mentioned in this post.
XL’s Featured Tribe Men Of The Week Quran Whitehead
1. What are your biggest fashion obstacles?
- I would say my biggest fashion obstacles are being able to find exactly what I envisioned in my size and being able to pull it off in a fashion forward way. For so many years now, I’ve envisioned so many looks I wanted to portray but the sizes or exact style/color I would want them in aren’t available. Being a big guy and being fashion forward can be difficult and frustrating because you can search day and night for a look and it won’t be available after a size XL or a 38W. It’s very time consuming and I’m very particular when it comes to fashion so I choose wisely when it comes to putting looks together. Although the options have improved, it’s still more that can be available.
2. Where are you from and how you describe your style?
- I’m from New York City, born in Queens and raised in the Bronx and describing my style is something I’ve always had trouble doing. I feel that I am very versatile with my looks. I can go from going formal for a benefit gala or pageant to a semi-formal chic look for a birthday brunch or day party to a relaxed and comfortable look for a family cookout. Also I love black fashion from the past(90s, 80s,etc.) and would even say my style includes the elements of those eras. I would describe my style as an “Eye-Opening Black Chic with Versatility”
3. Tell us about your biggest fashion nightmare and if it came true do explain. (attach a picture if you can)
- One of my biggest fashion nightmares would have had to been for my 24th Birthday last year. I was inspired by the actor Keith Powers'(who played Ronnie DeVoe in The New Edition Story)look at the 2016 BET Awards but do a Royal Blue version of it. It took me forever to actually find the look because I wanted to make sure the top matched exactly with the blue trousers. I finally ordered my look and when I got it in the mail the outfit was smaller than expected and I was disappointed because my birthday was about 4 days away and I didn’t set mind on a back-up look. So I was like ” You know what, you can pull this off Q” and I threw that self doubt out the window. I ended up showcasing that look and I went out to Muse Paintbar in NYC with my friends and had the best time. I posted my look on IG and Twitter and even tagged Keith in it. My look got a lot of attention and Keith Powers actually retweeted me and gave me props. After that I was so glad I didn’t change it because look at that, Keith Powers actually noticed what I was trying to do and gave me props for it. It honestly made my birthday from all the love I got from my family, friends, Keith, and people I didn’t even know who were complimenting me.
4. What are somethings you wanna see more of from your favorite brands?
- I would love to see more versatility in options for men’s big and tall wear. Although many brands do have big and tall or plus size, the fashion forward effect just isn’t there. A lot of times I go to different sites and the options just bore me. A brand that always catches my eye is ASOS. ASOS has so much versatility and I love the plus size men options that they have. I would even love to model for them one day and luxury brands as well.
5. Where do you see yourself in five years and how do you see yourself accomplishing it?
- I see myself being immersed in my career as an professional actor. I am currently attending The American Academy Of Dramatic Arts in New York City and I am set to graduate in April 2019, with the hopes of possibly attending NYU, Yale School of Drama, Julliard, UCLA, or USC for my MFA in Acting. I have a deep love for acting and I would love to have a successful career in that, and even as a model. I see myself with the woman of my dreams, possibly married and starting a family of my own. Also, I see myself as a wealthy black man ; a wealthy black man that supports his family and gives back to the communities that helped raised him up to who he is now, and that gives back to those less fortunate than myself and to inspire them to follow their dreams like I’m doing right now. Also, I see myself still keeping my morals I was raised on, what I believe in and continuing to stay true to myself. I’ll still be that Joyful & Soulful Black Boy from the Bronx.
6. What do you feel is missing in fashion for the men of size?
- I would say what’s missing is more male plus size models in high fashion, I would love to see more of that. Fashion for plus size males has improved but it’s so more that can be done.
7.If you could swap styles with one celebrity who would it be and why?
- I might have to stretch the question with two celebrities and say Andre 3000 and Heavy D. They both are fashion greats to me.